As we enter the final quarter of the year, it’s the perfect time to pause and reflect on the progress we’ve made toward our yearly goals, assessing where we have excelled and where we may need to spend more time. Sometimes it’s hard to find inspiration and motivation for the final quarter of the year, especially if it’s been a challenging year. However, the 4th quarter of the year can provide a “make it or break it” opportunity to end this year and head into 2024 on a high note.
For many, both in their business and personal lives, the start of October signals the beginning of the “4th quarter push” or the “4th quarter stretch.” Both you and your clients have probably set yearly goals for yourselves — and the final quarter of the year is when you may feel extra pressure to accomplish those goals by year-end.
For business owners and managers, this is the time to measure the performance from the previous quarters, make sure you’re on track to hit your goals for the last quarter, and be ready to lay out a strategic plan for 2024. Keep in mind that every year has its curveballs, so while the initial goals you set in the beginning of the year should continue to be used as benchmarks, being flexible and focusing on your achievements can help identify where the main improvements should be made in the 4th quarter.
For employees and staff, this is a time to finish out the year strong and plan for growth in the coming year, whether that means taking courses for new certifications that will bring you a larger salary, communicating with your employer to plan for time off in the coming year, or planning where you’ll need to improve your performance (i.e. new software, conferences to attend, etc.).
No matter which track you’re on, here are 5 tips to handle the 4th quarter push that will help you end the year in a positive way:
- Take time to assess which goals you’ve met and which you need to set aside for now.
- Streamline: find out why and how you’ve been productive in certain areas, and streamline your processes to improve efficiency and optimize this precious time period.
- Participate in a company-wide meeting to discuss your goals for the coming year, including professional development, continuing education, networking, upcoming conferences and more.
- Consider using the S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound) framework to prioritize your 2024 goals.
- Decide how you’ll celebrate your accomplishments. Enjoy your wins!